Before you greet autumn with open arms and cozy blankets, prepare your apartment with a thorough deep clean!
While the summer breeze brought a welcome break from the heat, it also brought in a lot of dirt and debris. Rockliffe Properties has a few tips on how to thoroughly clean your apartment this fall.
Even though the kitchen gets cleaned after meals, it's important to deep clean it twice a year.
- Empty cupboards and clean all surfaces and handles with a mild detergent.
- Clean the fridge and freezer inside and out. Don't forget to wipe down the seals, vacuum the fridge coils, and remove any dirt from under it.
- Clean the oven, wipe down the exterior, and cleanout any dirt from underneath.
- Clean the microwave with this steam trick.
- Clean and disinfect sinks with baking soda and vinegar.
- Wash the floors and launder any mats or rugs.
Living room and bedrooms
In these rooms, you will want to start cleaning from the top down.
- Wipe down ceiling fans, dust or vacuum corners of walls.
- Dust picture frames, art work, and shelves.
- Dust door frames, tops of doors, and clean door handles with a disinfectant.
- Remove window blinds and curtains, then either hand wash or, if safe, toss in the washer.
- Clean windows, window tracks, trims, and screens.
- Clean light fixtures and lamps to remove dead bugs, dirt, and dust.
- Clean fingerprints and dirt off any walls.
- Clean all table tops, TV stands, TVs, radios, and bookshelves.
- Change bedsheets, and sprinkle mattress (and couches, chairs, etc) with baking soda, wait 30 minutes and vacuum surfaces with upholstery attachment.
- Vacuum carpets or wash the floors.
We clean the bathroom frequently, but it's a good idea to deep clean it at least a couple of times a year. Do your usual cleaning routine here, but add the shower head, ventilation fan, toilet brush, and other areas that don't usually get a lot of attention. Check out Real Simple's guide to deep cleaning your bathroom here.
When you're finished, don't forget to clean your tools! Watch this informative video for a great guide to cleaning your cleaning supplies.